the sea islands.
Native Americans lived and fished here first. Ships arrived from England, Barbados, and Bermuda by the 1690s as Charles Town was founded and, and Kiawah River’s acreage was originally granted to Thomas Stanyarne by King Charles II's Lords Proprietors in 1698.
After the Revolutionary War, this land was farmed for hundreds of years, a tradition that continues to this day. After rice and indigo, cotton and vegetables were the primary crops. Owners included generations of Johns Island farmers; the Freeman family still farms here and will continue do so for many generations to come.